Tuesday 26 May 2020
Accueil Actuality New Zealand slams Google over murder case gaffe

New Zealand slams Google over murder case gaffe

Google was accused of “giving the middle finger” by New Zealand’s Justice Minister Thursday, after the US tech giant refused to tighten publication standards after breaching court suppression orders in a high-profile murder case.

A Google news email that went out to the general public named the accused killer of Briton Grace Millane in December, despite a court order suppressing his identity while he was on trial.

The tech firm initially appeared contrite, holding meetings with Justice Minister Andrew Little and assuring Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern earlier this year that the issue was being looked at.

Little said a follow-up inquiry in March yielded no results, before he finally received a one-paragraph email from Google this week indicating the company saw no need to change its policy as the case had been “extensively reported by overseas media”.

A furious Little described the response, which included a link to Google’s legal support page, as “contemptible” and “extraordinarily disrespectful”.

“It’s giving the middle finger to New Zealand justice and the family of Grace Millane,” he told AFP.

Little said suppression orders were put in place to ensure the court system gave the accused a fair trial and Google’s actions potentially undermined that right.

“I can’t let that happen,” he said.

“If Google aren’t going to change then I have to find a way to put pressure on them through the legal system or through international agreements.”

He said he would raise the issue at meetings with his international counterparts in coming months.

Millane, 22, was killed in December last year shortly after arriving in Auckland on holiday in a crime that shocked New Zealand.

A 27-year-old man has pleaded not guilty to her murder.

The row is the second time the New Zealand government has taken social media giants to task in recent months.

Ardern led global efforts to force them to curb hate speech in the wake of the Christchurch mosques massacre in March, when a gunman killed 51 Muslim worshippers as they gathered for Friday prayers.

Little said Google had shown a willingness to take responsible action in the wake of the attack and he hoped it would do so again in the Millane case.

LAISSER UN COMMENTAIRE

S'il vous plaît entrez votre commentaire!
S'il vous plaît entrez votre nom ici

À lire aussi

Zimbabwe vice-president’s wife due in court over fraud

Marry Mubaiwa, the estranged wife of Zimbabwe's Vice-President Constantino Chiwenga, will on Monday appear in court to face charges of money laundering and fraud. The...

Citizenship Amendment Act: Protests erupt across India over citizenship law

Protests over a controversial new law on migrants are raging across several Indian cities, prompting police to clash with demonstrators. The new law entitles non-Muslim...

Pep Guardiola: ‘Man City might not be able to compete with top teams’

Pep Guardiola says Manchester City "might not be able to compete" with the best teams in Europe and have to "accept that reality". His side...

Trump impeachment drive enters crucial week in divided Congress

The impeachment proceedings against President Donald Trump in a sharply divided US Congress enter a new phase Monday when the House Judiciary Committee convenes...

Nepal prepares for mass animal sacrifice despite outcry

Thousands of Hindu devotees gathered in southern Nepal on Monday ahead of a festival believed to be the world's biggest ritual animal slaughter, despite...

Democratic candidates in fifth presidential debate agree on impeachment, little else

For the fifth round of US Democratic debates on Wednesday, ten 2020 presidential hopefuls sparred in Atlanta, Georgia over health care, climate change, taxes,...

Top US military official says 500 troops to remain in Syria

US troop levels in northern Syria will probably stabilize around 500, a top American military leader said Sunday, weeks after President Donald Trump had...

UK Parliament to elect new speaker after John Bercow’s departure

British MPs will on Monday select the new speaker of the House of Commons, once an unremarkable event but one now charged with significance...